Thursday, Aug. 22
Latest News
  1. Palestinian goverment: 26 million in development of ministries
  2. Rudeineh: Washington us unable to achieve anything by itself
  3. US: “No plan for unilateral annexation by Israel of the West Bank"
  4. Cluster of incendiary balloons land in southern Israel
  5. Palestinian FM condemns Germany's vote to define BDS as 'anti-Semitic'
  6. Israeli forces forcibly evict Muslim worshipers from Al-Aqsa
  7. Israeli forces detain 14-year-old Palestinian near Ramallah
  8. Erekat: Deviation from peace terms of reference doomed to fail
  9. Iceland's Hatari shocks Eurovision with Palestinian flags
  10. UNRWA: 4 Palestinian children killed in attack on Syria refugee camp

4 Israelis dead in West Bank shooting attack

Aug. 31, 2010 6:56 P.M. (Updated: Sept. 2, 2010 5:17 P.M.)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- Four Israeli settlers were shot dead in the occupied West Bank late Tuesday, Israeli military officials said.

Palestinian gunmen opened fire on a car driving east of the illegal Kiryat Arba settlement near Hebron at 6:30 p.m, army officials reported.

The victims were related and included a pregnant woman, officials said.

Israeli forces immediately closed the Bani Naim village near where the incident occured, and all roads leading into and out of Hebron, Ma'an's correspondent reported from the area. Witnesses said suspects were taken into custody.

A Palestinian group calling itself the Haq ("Rights") Brigades claimed the attack. The group was not previously known, and did not state any affiliation to other political groups.

In a statement to Ma'an, Haq said its operatives successfully fled capture. The attack comes in response to the PLO's decision to return to direct negotiations with Israel, the statement said.

Israel's commander of the Judea and Samaria (West Bank) Regional Brigade, Brigadier General Nitzan Alon, said, "The investigation is still underway. We were on high alert in light of the upcoming holiday period but regretfully, we were unable to prevent the attack. We will continue to be on high alert in the area."

Alon said in a statement distributed by the Israeli army that "as far as we can tell, the Hamas terror organization is behind the attack ... The forces are currently searching the area for the terrorists responsible."

Hamas praised the attack, but did not immediately claim involvement.

The operation was "a natural response to the crimes of the occupation" and proof "of a failure of security coordination" between Israel and the Palestinian Authority, Hamas spokesman Sami Abu-Zuhri told Reuters.

Nevertheless, Israeli and PA security forces almost immedieately opened a joint investigation, the Israeli news site Ynet reported. A PA security official told the news site that Hamas might have been responsible for the operation.

The attack came hours after 10 armed settlers opened fire at three Palestinian teenagers as they tended to their land in the Salfit district village of Deir Istiya, in the northern West Bank. The village mayor, who reported the incident, said there were no reports of injury.

The Hebron shooting appeared to have been timed to disrupt the restart of negotiations between Israel and the PLO, which were set to begin 2 September in Washington, DC.

Americans for Peace Now, a Washington-based group which opposes settlements, condemned the attack.

"Today's attack is a senseless act of violence whose likely purpose is to derail the peace talks that are set to get underway in Washington," director Debra DeLee said in a statement.

"There are no doubt self-appointed spoilers who want to force both Israelis and Palestinians to spurn negotiations in favor of continued conflict. They cannot be permitted to succeed," she said.

Most Read
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015