Thursday, Nov. 26
Israeli soldier killed in West Bank bus accident
Latest News
  1. Al-Issawiya falling into 'economic recession' as shops face fines
  2. Israeli navy boats open fire at Palestinian fishermen
  3. Knesset bill to jail minors on terror charges passes 1st vote
  4. Palestinian shot dead after alleged attack at Nablus checkpoint
  5. Israeli forces kill Palestinian northwest of Jerusalem during clashes
  6. Israeli forces kill Palestinian northwest of Jerusalem during clashes
  7. Palestinian teen shot 2 weeks previously dies from wounds
  8. Palestinian shot after attacking Israeli soldier dies from injuries
  9. Israeli forces detain 4 teens from al-Issawiya

Children stand trial for stone-throwing

April 27, 2010 2:26 P.M. (Updated: April 30, 2010 11:11 A.M.)
Bethlehem – Ma’an – Fourteen and 15-year-old brothers stood trial at Ofer's military court on Monday, facing charges of throwing stones at Israeli soldiers in the occupied West Bank.

The boys, Nadim and Jihad Basim Kawazba from Bethlehem's Al-Minya neighborhood, were recommended for sentences of three and four months detention but the judge's decision was delayed when lawyers Eyhab Al-Ghaleith and Iyad Misk requested that the hearing be postponed until Thursday.

Both boys were also set to be fined 2,500 shekels (670 US dollars) each, but a final decision on the fine will wait for the reconvening, lawyers said.

The boys' father, Basim Kawazba, said he was prohibited from visiting his sons in the courtroom, saying they looked scared .

Basim explained that on Thursday, 50 Israeli soldiers surrounded his home at 3am, entered the building and ransacked it.

"The soldiers blindfolded the boys and handcuffed them. When I insisted on escorting them, they blindfolded and handcuffed me and took me with them. After I was 3 kilometers away from home, the soldiers released me and took my sons to the Etzion detention center south of Bethlehem," Basim described.

Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015