Sunday, Sept. 22
Latest News
  1. Palestinian goverment: 26 million in development of ministries
  2. Rudeineh: Washington us unable to achieve anything by itself
  3. US: “No plan for unilateral annexation by Israel of the West Bank"
  4. Cluster of incendiary balloons land in southern Israel
  5. Palestinian FM condemns Germany's vote to define BDS as 'anti-Semitic'
  6. Israeli forces forcibly evict Muslim worshipers from Al-Aqsa
  7. Israeli forces detain 14-year-old Palestinian near Ramallah
  8. Erekat: Deviation from peace terms of reference doomed to fail
  9. Iceland's Hatari shocks Eurovision with Palestinian flags
  10. UNRWA: 4 Palestinian children killed in attack on Syria refugee camp

24 shot, injured by Israeli forces in clashes after funeral in Abu Dis

Dec. 30, 2015 9:47 A.M. (Updated: Dec. 30, 2015 7:20 P.M.)
A Palestinian youth hurls a stone at Israeli occupation forces following a weekly demonstration against the expropriation of Palestinian land by Israel, on Dec.20, 2013 in the northern West Bank village of Kfar Qaddum. (AFP/Jaafar Ashtiyeh, File)
JERUSALEM (Ma’an) -- Clashes broke out late Tuesday in Abu Dis following a funeral held for a Palestinian killed earlier this month, whose body was held by Israeli authorities for 26 days.

Locals told Ma’an that 24 Palestinians were shot and injured by rubber-coated steel bullets while 19 others suffered from severe tear gas inhalation when clashes erupted between locals and Israeli military forces.

Hani Halbiya, a spokesperson of a local popular resistance committee, told Ma’an that Israeli authorities handed over the body of Mazin Hasan, 37, near the town of al-Eizariya.

Palestinian Red Crescent medics transferred the body to the Abu Dis medical center, where the funeral procession set off to Ureiba’s family home before mourners carried his body to the local cemetery for burial.

An Israeli army spokesperson did not have immediate information on Tuesday’s clashes.

Ureiba’s body was one of three to be returned by Israeli authorities Tuesday evening. The bodies of Palestinians killed while carrying out attacks on Israelis have been withheld in line with a decision made in October by Israel's security cabinet to return the bodies on a case-by-case basis.

The practice has not been used in such frequency since the Second Intifada, according to Israeli rights group Hamoked.

Ureiba, 37, was shot and killed on Dec. 3 after opening fire on Israeli soldiers stationed near the Hizma military checkpoint north of Jerusalem.

According to reports from the Israeli army following the attack, an Israeli soldier was shot in the hand during the attack.

A 47-year-old Palestinian bystander was shot and critically injured when Israeli forces opened fire on Ureiba.

Most Read
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015