Tuesday, Aug. 20
Latest News
  1. Palestinian goverment: 26 million in development of ministries
  2. Rudeineh: Washington us unable to achieve anything by itself
  3. US: “No plan for unilateral annexation by Israel of the West Bank"
  4. Cluster of incendiary balloons land in southern Israel
  5. Palestinian FM condemns Germany's vote to define BDS as 'anti-Semitic'
  6. Israeli forces forcibly evict Muslim worshipers from Al-Aqsa
  7. Israeli forces detain 14-year-old Palestinian near Ramallah
  8. Erekat: Deviation from peace terms of reference doomed to fail
  9. Iceland's Hatari shocks Eurovision with Palestinian flags
  10. UNRWA: 4 Palestinian children killed in attack on Syria refugee camp

Over 80 Palestinians injured with rubber bullets, live fire in clashes

Oct. 8, 2015 8:34 P.M. (Updated: Oct. 9, 2015 11:50 A.M.)
RAMALLAH (Ma'an) -- More than 80 Palestinians were injured with live fire and rubber-coated steel bullets on Thursday during the seventh consecutive day of fierce clashes in the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem, medics told Ma'an.

Medics said Israeli forces shot dead a Palestinian and injured seven others with live fire during a raid in the occupied East Jerusalem's Shuafat refugee camp.

Eleven other Palestinians had been injured with live fire in the West Bank, the Red Crescent said.

Israeli forces shot and injured a 17-year-old Palestinian with live fire during clashes in the southern West Bank district of Bethlehem.

The teen, identified as Ayub Abu Ajra, was reportedly shot in the foot with a live bullet, while at least three others were injured with rubber-coated steel bullets during the clashes, which are ongoing.

In total, Israeli forces shot and injured over 59 Palestinians with rubber-coated steel bullets in the West Bank, while 89 Palestinians suffered from tear gas inhalation, with updates of more injured steadily being reported.

Thirty-nine Palestinians were injured during clashes in Ramallah's al-Bireh City, near the illegal Beit El settlement checkpoint, while Palestinian youths reportedly injured two Israeli soldiers with rocks, locals told Ma'an.

Nine Palestinian youths were injured with live fire in the area, 30 with rubber-coated steel bullets and five suffered from tear-gas inhalation.

One of the injured is reportedly in serious condition, locals said.

Palestinian photojournalists Attef al-Safadi and Ahmad Zaki Abu Zuweid were among the injured.

Three volunteer medics were also injured by rubber-coated steel bullets in al-Bireh clashes, with one shot in the head, another in the leg, and a third in the arm.

Thursday's clashes in the al-Bireh area took place after the Birzeit University students' council called for a march in the city.

Before the march, Israeli forces sprayed skunk water in northern al-Bireh as a preemptive measure to prevent Palestinian protests, locals said.

Ongoing clashes

Since Friday, clashes around the illegal Beit El settlement and the city of al-Bireh, which is in Palestinian Authority-controlled Area A, have been ongoing.

In Hebron on Thursday, Israeli forces injured a 16-year-old Palestinian with live fire during clashes that erupted at the entrance of the al-Arrub refugee camp in the north of the district, according to a Red Crescent official.

The coordinator of a local committee for youth and volunteers at the Red Crescent, Muhammad al-Badawi, said that the teen was moderately injured and taken to a hospital in Hebron for treatment.

Two other youths were also lightly injured with rubber-coated steel bullets.

First aid was given to a large number of locals at the refugee camp who suffered tear-gas inhalation during the clashes, al-Badawi said.

In Beit Ummar, south of al-Arrub refugee camp, three Palestinians were injured with live fire during clashes at the entrance of the town, a local monitor said.

The spokesperson for a local popular resistance committee, Muhammad Ayyad Awad, said the three were evacuated to hospitals in Hebron city in moderate condition.

Awad said clashes with Israeli forces erupted in several areas in Beit Ummar on Thursday, with Israeli forces using live fire, rubber-coated steel bullets and tear-gas to suppress protesters.

Israeli forces detained two 16-year-old students identified as Jumana Bassam Ibregheith and Shurouq Muhammad Awad for two hours during the clashes.

Israel forces also reportedly turned a warehouse near in area, which belongs to a man identified as Samir Shihda al-Alami, into a makeshift military barracks.

In the northern West Bank district of Tulkarem, dozens of youths were injured, including 12 youths shot with live fire and 20 with rubber-coated steel bullets, during clashes between students from the Palestine Technical University and Israeli forces near the Nitzani Oz checkpoint in the western part of the district.

Medics also said that a 57-year-old who suffers from heart disease and asthma was admitted into an intensive care unit after suffering from tear gasinhalation.

Clashes later moved to the campus of the university after Israeli soldiers raided the campus.

One student was reportedly detained.

The Tulkarem clashesoriginallyerupted after a march that set off from the university’s campus condemning Israeli violations at the Al-Aqsa Mosque and Jerusalem, and against recent Palestinian deaths at the hands of Israeli forces.

Israeli authorities have orchestrated mass detention raids in Palestinian towns throughout the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem following fatal attacks on four Israelis over the past week.

Six Palestinians have been shot dead by Israeli forces since Friday, three of which were killed after confirmed attacks on Israelis.

Tensions had been mounting steadily for weeks across the occupied Palestinian territory due to Israeli restrictions on Palestinians seeking to enter the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in East Jerusalem.

The reported Palestinian injuries Thursday bring the total injured since Saturday to over 900.
Send Comment
Comment:(300 chars)
Most Read
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015