Sunday, Sept. 15
Latest News
  1. Palestinian goverment: 26 million in development of ministries
  2. Rudeineh: Washington us unable to achieve anything by itself
  3. US: “No plan for unilateral annexation by Israel of the West Bank"
  4. Cluster of incendiary balloons land in southern Israel
  5. Palestinian FM condemns Germany's vote to define BDS as 'anti-Semitic'
  6. Israeli forces forcibly evict Muslim worshipers from Al-Aqsa
  7. Israeli forces detain 14-year-old Palestinian near Ramallah
  8. Erekat: Deviation from peace terms of reference doomed to fail
  9. Iceland's Hatari shocks Eurovision with Palestinian flags
  10. UNRWA: 4 Palestinian children killed in attack on Syria refugee camp

Israel to release remains of Jenin area man who died in 2002

Jan. 27, 2014 3:16 P.M. (Updated: Jan. 28, 2014 11:31 A.M.)
JENIN (Ma'an) -- Israeli authorities will return the remains of a Palestinian militant who carried out a bombing inside Israel over a decade ago, a human right groups said on Monday.

Israeli human rights group Center for the Defense of the Individual (HaMoked) said in a statement that the remains of Abdul-Karim Tahaynah from Silat al-Harithiya in the Jenin district will be returned on Sunday, twelve years after he was killed in an operation in northern Israel.

Tahaynah's remains will be returned via the Taybeh checkpoint near the northern West Bank city of Tulkarem at 8 p.m. on Sunday.

The remains matched DNA samples taken from relatives, HaMoked added.

Tahaynah died on March 5, 2002 after he detonated an explosive belt he had on his body inside an Israeli bus in Afula. The operation killed one Israeli passenger and and injured more than twenty others.

Islamic Jihad's military wing, the al-Quds Brigades, claimed responsibility for the operation, which took place at the height of the Second Intifada against the Israeli occupation.

The day before the attack, 17 Palestinians had been killed in Israeli attacks across the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.

So far this year, four Palestinian families have received the remains of relatives who were killed by Israeli forces and whose bodies had been held in Israel. A fifth family is expected to receive their relative's remains on Tuesday.

Salim Khillah, a spokesman for a committee to retrieve Palestinian remains from Israeli custody, told Ma'an on Jan. 17 that Israeli authorities had decided to return the remains of 36 Palestinians held in Israeli "numbered graves."

Khillah said Israel had agreed to return the remains as a gesture to encourage the PLO to continue with peace negotiations.

But a spokesman for an Israeli human rights group told Ma'an Thursday that the delivery of the remains was the result of a Supreme Court decision.

A spokesman for HaMoked said that the decision came in response to the organization's demands for the release of the remains of every Palestinian currently held in Israel's custody.
Most Read
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015